Sunday, June 1, 2008

How to not lose a bilum...

What is a bilum? A yarn or mesh or bush rope bag that hangs over a shoulder or from the head. Men, women, children carry them and babies ride in them. There are rules of looking after a bilum, which I tell to every volunteer or visitor who comes to Papua New Guinea. Here they are...
1. Never leave a bilum in a car, on the seat, in plain slight of rascals.
2. If you do leave your bilum on the seat, make sure the windows are closed.
3. Take a watchman to town with you.
4. Lock the doors.

Well, I followed rules 3 and 4, but omitted rule #1 & 2 on Monday. Okay, here is my reasoning. Traveling with a 3 year old can make my mind not always be where it should, and I wanted to not take the bag with me because it had money in it and I only needed a few kina for coffee at this shop, and the street was notorious for pick pocketers.

Okay, so sure enough, the bilum is gone when I return to the car. I start asking if anyone saw anything and soon there are hundreds-yes, really, not just a Gail-made up number- of people around to listen to what happened. The advice from the crowd was to go to the radio station and make an announcement of what happened. We did this, and asked for my credit cards and checkbook and house key to be returned.

Thursday, we got a phone call that the items were "found" and I was to meet them on Friday, 10 am. Went to town, but the other party did not show up. I left the "reward" and a note for the guys if they were to return my bilum later.

Saturday, my friend, Margaret, came to my house with the important things returned! Yeah! Lots of sentimental things gone and no more cash of course, but all of those things that would be so hard to replace were present. (Typically, a steal-man in PNG would not try to use credit cards/checks or ATM cards-which is a blessing.)

So, what does Gail learn from this, other than to watch out for her bilum more carefully? I learned that even though Christianity has been in PNG for 50 years, there are still millions that do not know their Saviour and need His love. My eyes are seeing more of the hurt and pain in this country that I live in, and I am moved to compassion.

Thanks for your prayers, and I promise to help you look out for your bilum if you come to visit.

2 comments:

JenLo said...

Wow, that is crazy! It brings a whole new meaning to hanging on to your purse, I guess!

Stephanie said...

Aww. I'm so sorry you had your bilum snatched! Last night I dreamed we were still there and I was the teacher for the kids. Prophetic? I hope so! :)