Friday, August 29, 2008

Room make over

I am not a fan of Extreme Home Makeover. They are just too extreme. All of the references to people "deserving" a nice house is like a punch to my gut. Does that mean the 5 million people in PNG that live in a grass hut and dirt floors deserve what they have? These Papua New Guinean friends that have minimal health care, no running water, a hole in the ground for a toilet, and a kerosene lamp... who is helping them "get what they deserve in life"? Or does the "deserving" only apply to Americans? The money that is spent on one deserving family in America could give give clean drinking water to a whole area of PNG or pencils to children in school.

Okay, that is all from my soap box today! For a few days, the girls and I have been changing rooms for them. Olivia (3) has been in a room by her self since birth, but all the girls moved in together while Brittany was here. After a family discussion, Allison was chosen to move to the little bedroom on her own.

When the girls came home from school for lunch yesterday, I had them close their eyes and go into their rooms and then I told them to open their eyes (hence feeling like the host of extreme home makeover). Any way, they love their new rooms, and it cost me a total of $10 for artificial flowers and ribbon that we put up in Al's room.


 
Allie's new room, with quilt that I finished yesterday.
 
Emma moved to the top bunk, Olivia moved to the lower bunk and both are excited because it is rearranged.

No, we do not live in a grass hut and cook over fires like most of our PNG friends do here. Our house is a little 3 bedroom, one bathroom, beautiful hard wood floor American style house, and I love it. What do any of us "deserve" while we are here on earth? I get much more from love from God than I could ever deserve! I don't want to make anyone feel guilty for what they have, just to help them realize a heart of gratitude and not of entitlement. This is not what I expected this post to be, but there it is. Leave a comment...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Andy and Judy said...

I agree with you Gail! Its a good thing we don't get what we really deserve. I'm grateful for the grace and mercy of our God! Judy

afreakforjc said...

The comforts I have vs. the poverty I witness gives to me a level of uncomfortableness that I have yet to figure out how to reconcile.

Danielle said...

I get the same kinds of feelings, Aunt Gail... I am so very privileged, it is sometimes hard to understand!