Friday, September 5, 2008

Quilting with Veronica

Veronica: I am going on 2 weeks vacation.
Gail: O- are you staying here or going to your home place?
V: Staying here.
G: Well that will be nice.
-pause-
V: Yes, I will have lots of free time.
G: That is good.
-long pause-
V: I am just going to be at home, hanging out, around the garden, doing nothing.
G: Okay.
-longer pause-
V: I thought that if you are free, we could make a quilt during my vacation.
G (big light bulb appears above my head) O! Yes! That is why you are telling me about your vacation! Yes, let's do it on Monday.

Culturally, I should have picked up that Vero was hinting at making a quilt and then she wouldn't have had to specifically ask. But it happened anyway and I was eager to do it together.

We talked about color and design and size... she left everything up to me. When I got home, I looked at my stash and found the perfect thing to get a quilt done in a day. When we were in the states, a friend who owns Quilter's Stash in Greeley, CO, had sent me a bunch of fabric and I found large, pre-cut squares just right for Veronica, who had never used a electric sewing machine.

Monday was great, we got started about 10 am, and took a little break for lunch. Vero's 3 year old daughter and Olivia had a fabulous time playing. We quilted until 6pm and she walked home just as the sun was thinking about going down. The quilt finished, under her arm, ready to be put on her bed. We laughed, shared, talked about deep things and talked about nothing and were quiet together. Now that is pretty close to a perfect day.

 
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww sounds like our "close to perfect" day of quilting. Only you finished hers WAY sooner than we finished mine!!! Miss ans love ya!

Alison Weinstock said...

Lovely. Can't get much better than that Gail. It DOES sound like a perfect day! Glad you got enjoy sisterhood with a good friend over a quilt and playtime for the girls.
~ Alison

afreakforjc said...

Quilt master!

Anonymous said...

This story made me smile. :) - Jill