Thursday, February 19, 2009

Em

This is Emma, last Easter, when she was 7. She is now 8 and has her big teeth in the front. She talks about getting her hair cut off because she hates having it fixed in the morning.
Em is a ball of joy. She is bubbly, talkative, silly, funny and very creative.

Since Christmas however, she has become a grumpy child. Does this happen to all 8 1/2 year olds? I don't remember. My mom would probably say that I was grmpy from 13-16 years old. Emma bites people's heads off and her sisters can to nothing right.

I don't know why this phase is happening to our usually cheerful child, and really am at a lost of how to help her through it. So, what does a mom do? I listened to my words to Emma for awhile and realized how critical and bossy I can be to her. Therefore, I focused on using kinder words like, "What can I do to help you finish getting ready for school?" instead of "Emma! You only have 5 minutes! Hurry up!"

Kinder words might have helped some, but the problem is still there. Now I am trying a more forceful attack on this bad attitude. I am trying to lavish her with love. We made little books at Valentines and that is what I am trying to achieve with Em.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

So, practically, what does this mean?
I try to wake her with love, by playing with her face and talking with her and singing a silly song.
I try to have my work done so at 3:00, when she comes home from school, I am available.
We read together. (instead of me reading my own book)
We clean up together. (instead of me sending her off to do it on her own)
I want to talk with her and play imagination games when she takes a bath.
Give her lots of 'mommy time'.

As I am lavishing love on Em, I am learning to do it to all of the girls, my hubby, my friends and all those around me. Maybe Emma's grumpy period is for me...to learn to love more.

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

She's such a cutie--she has beautiful hair.