Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Decorating

Saturday, we got out the tree and our decorations. This year, the girls were big enough to put up the tree without my help. So we started a new tradition of making gingerbread men on the decorating day. The girls helped me after the tree was done.
Not the best picture of Scott and I, but I wanted to show our new shirts! Neat huh?

We are excited about this time of year and celebrating Jesus's birth. Christmas is different here because the weather is 70-80 degrees every day and not the icy Kansas that I am used to. Christmas is also not very commercialized. A PNG family would celebrate Christmas by going to church all day and eating a meal together with their church family. Here, a church family is your neighbors, and your neighbors are family.
Some of the stores in town are decorated for the holidays and even 2 extremely large, blow up, nylon Santa's and one snowman are living on the roofs of stores in town. Gift giving and Christmas trees are the exception in a PNG bush house, definitely not the norm. No stress of finding the perfect gift and maxing out credit cards!
So, as we live in PNG and anticipate Christmas we are pleased to be able to focus on the important parts of the season.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

afreakforjc said...

I'm a big fan of the shirts. :-)

Jeano said...

Hey girl! I nominated you for an award. Go to my site to get it.
Jeano