Monday, November 3, 2008

Prayers with Patients


Sunday morning, Scott was on call, so the girls and I decided to go to the hospital and visit with the patients. I allowed an hour for this, because I had lunch to get ready for potluck. We could have easily stayed for 4 hours! We only visited the Pediatric ward. I shared a few bible verses and then went bed to bed praying with the patients. The girls either stayed with me or visited on their own and Emma took pictures for quite awhile. The above picture is an adopted baby, who do not do well in PNG because of the difficulty of boiling water and buying formula. I believe that this adopted mom tried to nurse the baby and he just wasn't doing well, so they came to the hospital. Rarely do you see a baby taking a bottle. I would say there is above 95% breast feeding rate here. The only ones who do not are those who give their baby to someone else. Some moms choose to give formula if they would have a job and need to get back to work, but this is a rare percentage.
This is a cute little boy, who has had a swollen ankle for about 6 months. When I asked how I could pray for them, the mom said that her husband has taken a second wife and has forgotten about them, that is why the boy is not getting well. She asked if I could pray for the father to come and visit so that the boy could get well.
Most of the children seemed to be in the hospital for diarrhea and throwing up, as was this little one. It was a nice time of seeing the patients of the hospital and extending a little love to them.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: