Monday, May 5, 2008

PNG wedding

 
David and Betty became husband and wife on Saturday, May 3rd. It was a beautiful occasion. It was quite a lot like a Western wedding, but some differences, like the flower ring. You can see it in the picture, surrounding the bride and groom, symbolizing a "banis" or fence/bond that they are not to break.
 
My friend, Lena and I got to talk for about an hour this morning about weddings and how important they are. Typically in PNG, a girl friend will go to live with a guy and his family for awhile and then go back home and back and forth. The official marriage time is not specific, usually whenever most of the bride price is paid. Lena said that this Christian wedding was a good witness to others of how a marriage should be started. It was fun to talk with her and get out my wedding album.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

JenLo said...

Wow, that's really neat! I'm surprised about the casualness of marriage in PNG--I would have thought they would have a lot more definitive customs about engagement/marriage. I don't know why I figured that.