Saturday, November 26, 2011

My friend Maria

Upon returning from our meetings in Manila, I realized how much of a Christian bubble I live in, while outside our hospital station there are many people who are hungry for God.  My goal was to, weekly, go to the road bung (where 2 roads come together) and make friends. 

So, I was going to the road  bung for our costume party.  I texted (I know can you believe we have cell phones here!) Scott to tell him I was going, and he texted back “I will pray for a natural opening”  If I was a faster texter, I would have wrote back, “no, I am just going for clothes”.  But it takes me forever to text, so I didn’t.

While I was there, I shook hands with a lady, who seemed to want to talk.  We talked quite a while.  I invited her to my house sometime.  When we were done shopping, she found me and we walked home together, to show her where I live. 

She said I am going to work in your garden.  I am going to change my life and be a Christian because we are friends.

IMG_6354 IMG_6355 IMG_6358

Who will you run into today that is just a handshake away from a friendship with you and a relationship with God?

1 comment:

Becky Cronk said...

Thank you for this story, Gail! It reminds me of a story Rolf told of Cambodia when he was here. There & in PNG, the fields are ripe, - those called just need to go. I find it so different here in the United States.