Friday, July 17, 2009

Lives He touches

Last week Thursday, 3 pm, on the last surgery for the day. A car wreck came in to the ER with about 12 patients that needed treatment. A car/bus had overturned on the Jimi road. This road is not much more than a muddy track up the mountain. The patient above, let's call him Bob, had flown out of the vehicle and the car was said to have rolled over him. He had significant lacerations at his groin area, but a much more serious condition in his abdomen. He whole belly was tender and bruised and distended. His O2 Sat's were 72% on room air. His blood pressure was low and dropping. His hear rate was high and rising.

I felt like Bob could very well die before we got him to surgery or while we were working on him. I felt that I must ask him if he knew the Lord. I didn't want to pressure him into making a decision, but wanted to give him the opportunity to make the choice.

"Bob, do you know God?"
"I used to go to church, but I don't now."
"Do you know what would happen if you die today?"
Silence.
One tear out of his closed eye. His breathing still labored.
"I...want...to go to....heaven"
"Do you want to pray with me now?"


As we prayed together. I felt a indescribable warmth cover me from inside my bones out. I don't think I had ever experienced this sensation before. I opened my eyes wondering if I would see angels all around me.

We got Bob into surgery. He had about 2 liters of blood in his abdomen. (a person has 5 liters in his whole body).


His spleen had ruptured in the wreck, the doctors worked as quickly as possible to remove it and stop the bleeding. It was a difficult case with various complications. Bob received 5 units of blood to keep him alive during the case. For the couple hours of surgery, I wasn't sure whether Bob would live or die.
We have no ICU or extensive monitoring after surgery. The next day, I asked how Bob was doing with anxiousness. He was still alive. He is still alive today. One week after surgery, he is up and around and getting better. He told us he is happy and thankful for God saving his body and soul.
Please pray for Bob's continued recovery and his friends and family. I am thankful to be used by God to touch His people of PNG.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marci said...

Thank you for sharing this man's story. I will add him to my prayer list. What a blessing when we are obedient to the Lord's leading. Everyday is a gift.

Marci in MO

Andy and Judy said...

Thanks, Gail, for being sensitive to the Holy Spirit!